Pages

07 June 2010

The Day Mcgruff the Crime Dog Was Taken Out Back and Shot

I am sorry to say that today's youth has been corrupted beyond hope. I draw this conclusion from my everyday observances. The other day I was in taco bell waiting for my order to be ready when I spied two young girls, about 11 years old, standing by the counter. I looked as they asked the guy standing there for water cups. At first I applauded their decision to stay hydrated, becasue Lord knows that if there is a problem among today's youth, it is improper hydration. Lord also knows that if there is another problem among today's youth, it's stealing...which is exactly what these girls did. I couldn't help but overhear the conversation that they had once they reached the soda machine with their cups.

Theif 1: "Just do it Sarah"
Theif 2: "I'm not so sure Claire."
Thefi 1: "Quick, no one's looking."

False.
I was looking.

I was looking as they both filled their free water cups, not with water, no, with Mountain Dew. I am fully aware of my authority as a citizen to make a citizens arrest, it is one of the activities on my list of things to do before I die, but I was too shocked by what I had just seen to do anything. Two seemingly innocent young girls committing theivery in broad daylight. I watched in disgust as they snapped lids on their cups and hastily made their way out the door. My heart ached for these two children who had strayed from the path of innocence. Today it was soda, tomorrow it's a bank.
I only wish I could have intervened before these girls made a decision that would haunt them for the rest of their lives. I have no other reason for writing this than to lament the loss of a generation and the pain that I feel for not doing something to bring goodness into these girls hearts. We must educate our children that stealing is wrong and will not be tolerated. I suggest we find Sarah and Claire and make examples of them and their unrepentant souls. It was only 8 oz. of Mountain Dew, but it caused infinity oz. of regret.

R.I.P the innocence of children.

I feel like Holden Caulfield.

1 comment:

  1. My dad and I were in San Diego and we were at a Foster Freeze (yes they still exist) when a little girl came up to the counter to get a water cup. She was probably about 5 or 6 and I wanted to see what see would do. She took her water cup and, after filling it with ice, filled it to the brim with Sierra Mist. I immediately thought of this post and my heart got sad for our future. As the little girl walked back she sipped the cup and realized that she had a cup full of soda instead of water. She promptly turned around to go pour it out and get water instead. My heart was gladdened. Then, right as she was about to pour the soda out, her mom saw her and said, "Come over here. It's no big deal, get over here." Oh, the end of innocence.

    ReplyDelete